Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Roger Ebert Kicks Ass

I'm all for cynicism. A healthy cynicism born of rational thinking, born of thoughtfulness. However, cynicism that amounts to conspiracy-theorism and politico-bullshit jabs, cynicism that is born of a lack of compassion, a lack of thoughtfulness, well that just pisses me off. And apparently it pisses off Roger Ebert, too.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100114/OPINION/100119985

Update: Stardate: March 10, 2010
I've read a bit more by and about Mr. Ebert since discovering his blog back in January. (Rather late, I know. My internet superhero fiance's powers have not rubbed off.) And he continues to be kick-ass . . . and also inspiring and lovely and awesome. I submit for your consideration:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/02/the_gathering_storm.html#more
We're in for some hard times. We need to pull in our belts, pay more taxes, demand more value for our taxes, and say no to an ideology that requires converting our health money into corporate profits. We should to raise the lowest wages, and lower the highest ones. We have to return to the saying my father quoted to me a hundred times: "A fair day's work for fair day's pay." No, I don't think everyone should be paid the same wage. If you earn a lot of money, you have a right to a lot of money. If you earn it. But when Wall Street bosses are paid millions in bonuses for bankrupting their firms, and their political tools in Congress oppose a better minimum wage, that's plain wrong. It's rotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment